The Webview+ is aimed at developers that need good DOM support and a stable platform to work with. For developers using canvas or WebGL, our accelerated canvas solution, Canvas+, is still much faster and fine-tuned for high-performance, graphics-intensive apps, and that’s what we still recommend for high-paced games.
The Webview+ for Android is a uniform webview engine on any Android 4.x device based on Crosswalk. Webview+ for iOS is a webview engine that provides a replacement for the UIWebView that includes the Nitro JS engine based on the WKWebView.
- HTML5 API is fully supported: WebAudio, CSS, DOM UI elements, …
- Good performance
- It is a full browser
- In iOS it is light weight as it is included in the same device.
- Performance is not as good as in Canvas+, specially noticeable at startup
- In Android it takes around 20MB to include this webview engine.
- Only supports Cordova as content origin for iOS. The Content URL setting must point to index.html in your settings.
You can debug your applications running in Webview+ following these steps:
Note: You have to install the debug APK to be able to debug the Webview+.
- Follow the instructions to enable remote debugging in your Android device: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/remote-debugging
- Open your the Developer App and launch your app using the Webview+
- Open a Chrome browser and go to chrome://inspect/
- Click on the app you want to inspect and the Chrome Developer tools should be opened
For the Webview+ to be debuggable make sure that you don’t build an XCArchive (not a signed API). Download it and double click on the XCArchive file. When prompted about how to export theXCArchive, select “Save for Development Deployment“:
Then install the IPA, launch the app and:
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac computer using the USB cable
- Go to Settings -> Safari -> Advanced and enable the “Web Inspector”
- Open you Developer App and launch your app using the Webview+
- Open A Safari browser and go to the “Develop” menu. You should see the connected device there
- Select the application and the Web Inspector should be opened
When to use it
For application that target wide range of devices.
- It is possible to use plugins inside Webview+ as long as they are supported by Cordova 4.0.x.